Wednesday 20 March 2013

supreme x comme des garcons 2013 t-shirt pickup

A few months ago, I posted about picking up the black polkadot Supreme x Comme Des Garcons t-shirt and the big faff around with ParcelForce I had. This week, I'm happy to say that I picked up the 2013 edition of the collaboration - but not without the traditional postal service controversy!

Supreme x Comme Des Garcons 2013 olive box logo t-shirt
The second edition of New York's Supreme and Japan's Comme Des Garcons collaborative effort was released last Thursday; this particular t-shirt was one I purchased via Dover Street Market's e-shop & thanks to DHL holding my parcel for 3 days (to which I only discovered during a phone call with DHL's head of customer complaints, Zoe); this arrived at my house this afternoon.

The t-shirt sports the infamous box logo, mirrored on the front & Comme Des Garcons trademark polka dot design on the back. In comparison to last year, the similarities end at the mirrored box logo & polkadot design. See:

Supreme x Comme Des Garcons 2013 & 2012
The 2013 edition sports black polkadots on top of a digi-camo back print. It seems to be that the two companies decided to stick to the traditional themes of what made the previous collaboration successful; whilst maintaining to 'push the boat out' a slight bit more with the digi-camo/polka on CDG's behalf - although relative to CDG, this is very tame. I do feel that the print being back-only is so Supreme can maintain the 'clean cut' theme they seem to be opting towards in some of their lines - it's for that reason I feel Supreme & CDG collaborated in the first place is so Supreme can be looked at not only as a skate brand; but a viable choice for the more formal occasions (aka 'upper market'). However, in this particular collaboration, this definitely applies more to the shirts and wallets, rather than the t-shirt and camps.

It does irritate me how some brands only seem to go all out during collaborations. I can understand the motif is that you're not only catering to your audience; but an entirely new audience; especially two different brands in Supreme & Comme Des Garcons. It's interesting to see what each company can bring to the table.

The material definitely feels thicker and more sturdy on the 2012 t-shirt; however the print has proved to be very weak, with some polkadots fading and smearing. This appears to be the opposite for the 2013 collaboration, but we'll see what time shows.

Overall; I am pleased with the purchase. I did fall in love with the collaboration in the Lookbook preview and doubted it when the Capsule was released.

Which do you prefer, 2012 or 2013?

2013 & 2012 Supreme x Comme Des Garcons



No comments:

Post a Comment