Monday 19 November 2012

So I got myself a PS3 and took a trip down nostalgia lane

Sony Playstation 3 160gb Slim
In 2008, I saved up enough money to buy an Xbox 360. The 120gb 'Elite' version; I remember saving up all of my money and even sold my Nintendo Wii to be able to afford one. If I recall, I remember holding all of the £20 and £10 notes infront of me and lay them all on the desk - 15 year old me couldn't believe I had all of this money infront of me and it was mine. I had earnt it and could spend it on whatever I wanted. I only had one thing in mind - the glorious Xbox 360.

It was a pretty big deal for me to have my own console that was all mine. The first memory I have of a games console is watching my brother and his friends play on his SNES - Super Mario All Stars. Even though I could have the occasional play on it, it was still his. The PS1? The families. The PS2? The families. The Gamecube & Wii? The Families. The Xbox 360? All mine. I guess in hindsight it seems selfish writing this now, but I guess testosterone filled 15 year old me felt it was a pretty big achievement to finally have something I can call my own.

Fast forward to 2012; I have a consistent pay every month and frankly, my 360 was showing its limits. Where's my file support? The 3rd party apps are all awful and it was painfully slow. Even though I like the 'Metro' look, paying £40 a year to have my dashboard covered in advertisements and my service to be minimal? No Thank you. Trading you in. Goodnight sweet prince. Hello, dark knight. Also, I didn't pay a penny!

I've been lingering to do this for literally a year, I haven't even set the PS3 up yet and I'm already certain I should have done this a long time ago. One of the main reasons for this purchase is the superior 1080p support, both in-console content and downloaded media. I have tons of HD content I've downloaded purchased legally that I can't wait to watch (without the annoying sound of the 360/PC fan!

Plus, you can play freakin' Playstation 1 games! You have no idea how much I want to play Crash Team Racing!

Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment