Tuesday 6 November 2012

the state of fashion and me

This morning, when I just woken up and long after my girlfriend had set off to college - I hopped onto my PC and started doing something in which I never thought I'd be prioritising. I started browsing for clothes to buy. I ordered a Diamond Supply Sweatshirt (which I'll be posting about when it arrives).

Now, this may not seem out of the ordinary, but I realised that it was only really this year that I started paying proper attention to the clothes I wear, the style I want and how I present myself. Why have I suddenly gained this sudden desire of presentation? Is it the current trend? Is it the money? Is it a part of 'maturing' ? I think it's a combination of all of these.

Rewind the clocks two years ago - I'd a 16-17 year old on a shoe-string budget, relying on others to buy my clothes and I'd only buy the occasional cheap shirt if I felt like treating myself. I have never really opted to treat myself until this year. It's only really until this past year I've felt more comfortable with my own style.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not insinuating I am a fashion connoisseur - but I am more aware of what I'm wearing and what others are wearing. Since gaining an interest in brands and fashion, I find it very interesting to see the 'trickle down' effect from catwalk to concrete. To look at an item of clothing and think "yeah, that was inspired by x".

When it comes to my own style - I don't really define myself as anything (although, Charlotte refers to me as a 'streetwear fag') - I do like elements streetwear, in the same way I like elements of any other style. My personal opinion is that true fashion is bringing elements of each of these styles together to create and feel comfortable in your own apparel.

Just a few thoughts thrown together in a poorly structured post. Expect higher quality soon.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment